18 October 2012

advice?

Dear Readers,

I find myself at something of a crossroads, and I would welcome any advice you can give me.

A position in Eastern Orthodox practical theology has opened up in the university here at which I used to teach.

Do I apply for it or not?

I have been an acting professor of church history there before, for three years. And a replacement lecturer in Orthodox systematic theology for one year.

I began teaching theology at the postgraduate level in 1993. My field is history of Christian liturgy and asceticism. I have interests and expertise  in other areas as well: patristics, systematic theology, comparative religion, ascetical theology, historical theology, ecumenical theology.

When I applied for a permanent professor's position in church history at this university one of the criticisms of my application was that my field was really practical theology and not church history.

I am a good teacher, a good lecturer. I have not published anything since leaving that university in 2007. I haven't been able to find an academic position in my field since 2007.  I still have a passion for teaching and research.

I have been the head of the Eastern Orthodox theological house in Cambridge, England, and I've been an affiliated lecturer in the Faculty of Divinity at the University of Cambridge.  I have studied at Harvard, Oxford, and the University of Notre Dame.

My Finnish is good enough for everyday life; I do not realistically think I can lecture in Finnish right now. I could well be able to if I were to focus on my spoken Finnish.

To be honest, my experience of two previous applications for a permanent position here has led me to the conclusion that at least in theology there are considerations and interests beyond the academic and scholarly that ultimately lead to a candidate's being chosen for an academic position here. I am pessimistic at best about my chances.

I'm genuinely torn about what to do.  Thanks for your help.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Of course you apply. I'd had much more to say about this, but I'm not going to do that in a public blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Grant, this is my advice: it shouldn't hurt you much if you apply. I believe it's good to put them in a position where they have to take your expertise into consideration. I share your pessimistic view on academic circles here in Finland, but still: do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion you should definitely go for it. Even though the election process is often quite bizarre there, your qualifications make you not an easy candidate to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My advice is this: you must apply for it, if you are interested in. In Finland it is hard to get position at academic world (maybe same everywhere else too). I have friends who have been applying them for couple of decades and at last has got permanent position for couple of years before age to leave work for pension.
    And if you don't get position, you should write and publish something. This is friends advice.

    ReplyDelete