01 August 2012

expectations

If we were to ask church members - not necessarily only ones who show up on Sundays - what they expect to get out of the Sunday liturgy (I mean this in a broad sense to include both the Divine Liturgy and forms of Sunday service in Protestant and Catholic churches), I wonder what we would learn.

Putting the question that way is crass and even offensive, I know. We worship God out of thanksgiving, gratitude, acknowledgement. However, in a consumerist culture I think this is the approach many people take to their liturgical participation.

2 comments:

  1. It seems that church members understand crass and offensive better than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that may well be - at least when it comes to expectations about worship! But I wonder about where such expectations have come from in the first place. Hasn't the church played a role in forming those expectations?

    ReplyDelete