29 August 2012

what place is there?

No odd theological ideas today. Just a question of personal significance:

I have a doctorate in theology. I've taught in Finland as a professor of church history, and as a lecturer in Orthodox systematic theology and patristics. I've been the head of an Orthodox theological institute affiliated to Cambridge University. I've got twenty years' teaching experience at the postgraduate and undergraduate levels.

It appears that there is no place in Finland, in either academia or church, where I can use my education and experience. The doors appear to be closed to me. I have not worked in academic theology since July 2007. I have been unemployed for the greater part of the past five years.

Is there a place here where I can offer what I have to give? Or should I admit defeat and give up theology for something else?

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a solution to your problem. Finding a job in Finland is sometimes difficult even for a Finn. Just wanted to say never give up. I still remember your lectures on systematic theology because they were the best ones I had in the faculty of theology (well, Greek has a league of its own...).

    I think langue is still a problem for many Finnish students. But if we want to have good research made from the field of Orthodox Theology we have to communicate with the scolars abroad. This we can't do using only Finnish, or then the discussion will be between a very small group of people who allready know each other. We'll just have to hope that someday this will be understood at the University.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ilona! Nice to hear from you, I remember you from Joensuu. Thanks so much for your comment, for the good word. Made my day. :-)

    I agree with you about the issue of language. Sadly, I don't think there's any desire in the world of Orthodox theological education here, that Orthodox theologians in Finland be able to talk with anyone else. I don't know how to change that. It's a frustrating situation.

    ReplyDelete